BCT Aspire – Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme
2018 Gold Award
Partnership with Stockton Council
We are pleased to be once again working in partnership with SBC Dofe programme to offer both Gold and Silver awards with BCT. This means all training is done with Paul and this year Gordon Wills (experienced Mountain Leader) at BCT Aspire with extra training from Paul Michinson of Northeast Guides. Expeditions will be done jointly with the council participants with members of our team also supporting.
When’s it happening?
This year’s programme will be delivered as part of our weekly Youth Club on a Wednesday night between 6-8pm, specific Dofe activities will take place at the following times
• 7pm, 26th March,2018 – Presentation & Information Night
• 18th April onward – Drop in sessions for advice and Edofe support
• 21st April 2018 – Guided day walk (Optional to join Bronze group as peer mentors)
• 27th June – Begin Wednesday night training sessions for min 4 weeks (6-8pm)
• 9th or 23rd June – Training day on Cheviots with PB and Northeast Guides (Gold and Silver)
• 13th to 15th July – Practice Expedition
• 28th July to 31st August – Qualifier
• March 2019 – Final Presentation & Award Completion.
At Gold level participants must complete a residential trip lasting 5 days and 4 nights which needs to be organized by the young person. There are many options available and worth checking out the options at the following link: https://www.dofe.org/residential-section
What Kit is provided?
• The programme does require all young persons to have the correct outdoor kit. All personal clothing, tents, cooking equipment, maps etc. can be provided by BCT Aspire CIC, however, if you would like to provide your own, a 10% discount card is included in the Registration Pack to be used in Go Outdoors & Cotswolds Outdoor.
• Key personal kit – Suitable outdoor clothing, Boots, Waterproof Trousers & Jacket, Sleeping Bag
What are the costs?
• Day Walks (min) £5 per walk
• Expeditions £25 per trip
• Gold Enrolment Fee £27
Enrolment cannot be confirmed until application form and enrolment have been received. This is to reduce wasted places that cost the organisation.