BCT Aspire – Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme
2020 Bronze Award
What is the Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme?
• The scheme is a globally recognized qualification for young people & adults between the ages of 14 (Year 9) to 24.
• The scheme is accepted alongside formal qualifications by higher education providers & employers.
• An opportunity to experience new activities and develop existing skills.
• Principles – Shared experiences in outdoors developing leadership, problem solving. Overcoming challenges to build emotional strength & empathy for others. Experiencing isolation & solitude develops self-reliance & self-confidence.
• Divided into 4 sections that all must be completed (Physical, Skill, Volunteering & Expedition)
• Sections can work around existing activities (Current Hobbies & Interests).
Check out the official Duke of Edinburgh website HERE
When is it happening?
This year’s programme will be delivered as part of our weekly Youth Club on a Wednesday night between 6:00-8:00 pm.
Key Dates for 2020:
Tuesdays 6:00 pm – Expedition Planning Sessions
17/04/20: Guided Day Walk
09-10/05/20: Training Weekend @ BCT Aspire
23-24/05/20: Practice Expedition (1 night camp)
06-07/06/20: Qualifying Expedition (1 night camp)
26/06/20: Final Presentation and Award Completion
Enrolment Form: http://tiny.cc/DofEEnrolmentForm
What equipment is provided?
• The programme does require all young persons to have the correct outdoor kit. All personal clothing, tents, cooking equipment, maps etc can be provided by BCT Aspire CIC, however, if you would like to provide your own, a 10% discount card is included in the Registration Pack to be used in Go Outdoors & Cotswolds Outdoor.
• Key personal kit – suitable outdoor clothing, boots, waterproof trousers & jacket, sleeping bag
What are the costs?
• Day Walk: £5:00 [per walk]
• Expedition: £25:00 [per trip]
• Enrolment Fee: £21:00
Enrolment cannot be confirmed until the application form and enrolment have been received.