BCT Aspire – Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme
2018 Bronze Award
What is the Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme?
• The scheme is a globally recognized qualification for young people & adults between the ages of 14(Year 9) to 24.
• The scheme is accepted alongside formal qualifications by higher education providers & employers.
• An opportunity to experience new activities and develop existing skills.
• Principles – Shared experiences in outdoors developing leadership, problem solving. Overcoming challenges to build emotional strength & empathy for others. Experiencing isolation & solitude develops self-reliance & self-confidence.
• Divided into 4 sections that all must be completed (Physical, Skill, Volunteering & Expedition)
• Sections can work around existing activities (Current hobbies & interests).
When’s it happening?
This year’s programme will be delivered as part of our weekly Youth Club on a Wednesday night between 6-8pm, with catch up on Friday 5-6pm, specific Dofe activities will take place at the following times
• 7pm , 26th March,2018 – Presentation & Information Night
• 18th April, 2018 – Expedition Training begins weekly on Wednesday’s 6-8pm with sessions at BCT Den.
• 21st April 2018 – Guided day walk
• 11-13th May – Stockton Council Training Weekend (Optional)
• 2-3rd June 2018 – Practice Expedition (1-night camp)
• 7-8th July 2018 – Qualifying Expedition (1-night camp)
• September 2018 – Final Presentation & Award Completion.
What Kit is provided?
• The programme does require all young persons to have the correct outdoor kit. All personal clothing, tents, cooking equipment, maps etc. can be provided by BCT Aspire CIC, however, if you would like to provide your own, a 10% discount card is included in the Registration Pack to be used in Go Outdoors & Cotswolds Outdoor.
• Key personal kit – Suitable outdoor clothing, Boots, Waterproof Trousers & Jacket, Sleeping Bag
What are the costs?
• Day Walk x 1 (min) £5 per walk
• Expedition x 2 £25 per trip
• Enrolment Fee £21
Enrolment cannot be confirmed until the application form and enrolment have been received. This is to reduce wasted places that cost the organisation.